Crossways as a Hotel was first re-developed & re-opened in 1977, although the original building dates back to the 19th. Century. As the BARREL & GRAPES INN. It was known to have been purchased at auction by Lord Bentley of Horden on the 1st May 1920 for the sum of £ 1200.00.
Crossways prior to being re-developed was better known as the Half-Way House, just one of the many Public Houses that existed in Thornley during the hay-days of the Mining Industry in East Durham, 21 pubs or alehouses in the 1950/60s. All of these outlets were popular, the main difference between the Half-way House & the others outlets was a Dog Track located along-side the Pub. Grey Hound racing still remains very popular with a local track only 2 Miles away in the nearby village of Wheatley Hill.