Round the world sailing holidays
4 February 2008
Voyages on the steel-hulled 72-foot yachts, recently purchased by the UK’s leading sail training charity, the Tall Ships Youth Trust, will operate in tandem with voyages on their traditional tall ship, the 60 metre brig STAVROS S NIARCHOS, for which the Trust is best known.
The summer programme for the Challengers and their Tall Ship - featuring voyages in the Caribbean, Mediterranean, across the Atlantic and a Round Britain challenge - are unveiled in the Summer 2008 brochure.
“For the first time literally anyone will be able to sail on an ocean-going yacht – until now a dream for most of us,” said Tim Law, Marketing Director. “These yachts offer a safe, fast and exciting challenge and with our brig, a chance to experience two memorable sailing holidays.”
Challenger Summer 2008 highlights:
• As an introductory offer Challenger Sails start at £199 per person for 7-night sailing holidays around the Canaries and then the Balearics from February through to April
• Round Britain Youth Challenge (14-25): All four yachts will sail around Britain from Portsmouth via Bristol, Glasgow and Leith - with stops en route: 7-10 night legs from £499 in July
• Race Weeks: Race a Challenger in a series of races for adult and youth novice crews for the Tall Ships Challenger Race Series Cup. Solent or Tor Bay from £499 May/June
• Funchal 500 Tall Ships Race: The Challengers sail from Falmouth to Portugal, then on to Madeira for the Island’s 500th Anniversary celebrations. From £699pp in September
• ARC Trans-Atlantic Race: Race across the Atlantic with 200 yachts on a Challenger in the world renowned ARC Rally. November 2008 from £1,850
Summer 2008 Tall Ship highlights
• Ten-night Discover the Caribbean voyages on STAVROS S NIARCHOS, operate from Barbados until 6 April. Prices from £499 per person. A 21-night Trans-Atlantic voyage from Barbados to the Azores. Departs 20 April and costs £999pp
• Tall Ships Races 2008: STAVROS will be centre stage at the Mersey celebrations in July to mark Liverpool becoming 2008 European City of Culture before taking part in the 2008 Tall Ships Races in Norway and Netherlands. From £595 for 7 nights
• Voyages will also take in visits to many ports around the UK – Newcastle, Southampton, Brixham, Barry, Swansea and Glasgow as well as to Cork
All Challenger Yacht and Tall Ship voyages include full board and training. Flight connections are extra.
For more information, visit tallships.org.